Lawn Boy, by Gary Paulsen, focuses on a young boy who receives his grandfather’s broken-down riding lawn mower for his 12th birthday. What starts out as a boring summer activity quickly becomes an entrepreneurial endeavor as a full-time lawn mowing business that takes Lawn Boy on a journey he’ll never forget! Supply and demand, labor laws, and investing, these are all part of Lawn Boy’s summer experience. This lesson is designed to introduce students to the concepts of both entrepreneurship and the stock market.
Participants utilize Quizlet's Flashcards for vocabulary, explore themint.org's "What is the Stock Market" and "Be Your Own Boss Challenge" as well as read Lawn Boy, track stocks for 10 days, and do a pop-up character sketch.
Want a classroom set of Lawn Boy books while you teach this lesson? We have books to loan! Fill out this form to request a set for your students while you are teaching the lesson.
Upon completion of this lesson, participants will be able to:
- Understand the concept of entrepreneurship
- Analyze the role of entrepreneurs and of entrepreneurship in our economy
- Recognize how the stock market plays a role in personal financial management
- Understand how the stock market impacts our economy
- Recognize how the stock market works
- Understand the value of saving and investing